Leapwise is a mission-driven company that helps public sector leaders with their toughest choices. We were founded by an ex-BCG consultant and prime ministerial adviser, and provide strategy consulting support, leadership and organisational development, and software to improve public sector performance. We are passionate about public services and our clients include UK police forces, local and national government departments, and charities.
As we enter an exciting period of expansion, we are seeking to employ someone with strong management, communication and analytical skills to lead consulting engagements, develop one of our core practice areas, and support the development of the business.
Senior Manager role
We’re looking for a Snr Manager to join our small but growing team and to lead high impact projects in the justice, security/ policing and local government.
You’ll be a key part of the Leapwise team and will help to shape the focus of the business and will be involved in discussions about organisational priorities. You will also be responsible for managing some of our most critical projects and for shaping our overall work with policing and justice organisations.
Given the importance of this hire to the team, you will have the potential to progress fast and lead a Practice Area/ Functional Business line as we grow, and potentially become a Partner in the business.
What You’ll Be Doing
While your role can be shaped around your interests and expertise, you will spend most of your time managing project teams providing advisory services to clients in the policing and justice sectors.
You don’t need to have prior experience working in these sectors (although if you have, that would be beneficial). However, you do need to have a strong interest in them and a drive to make a difference.
You may also contribute to and lead projects to design new methods and software products that help our clients perform.
Reporting to and supported by the company founder, your days could include:
- Designing project methodologies and plans that support the delivery of desired client outcomes and outputs
- Developing insights and supporting teams and clients in their analytical and problem-solving work
- Ensuring project teams are co-ordinated and on-track, and colleagues are continuously learning and happy in their work
- Managing project scope – ensuring work plans reflect changing client priorities and feedback, while remaining within time and budget
- Supporting business development activities, including relationship development, proposal writing, and client pitches
- Developing staff and the overall capability of our consulting practice
- Measuring the impact of our projects and findings ways that we can continuously improve the support we provide our partners
- Codifying project methods that are delivering value and initiating product development activity where appropriate
We seek to help you build your career and profile and will also support you in writing, speaking and other work that supports both your career and the company’s mission.
In usual circumstances, you will be working with UK clients both remotely and in person (usually up to 3 days pw maximum). We have an office in London, but are happy to receive applications from candidates who would be willing to travel to London on a weekly/monthly basis and work remotely the rest of the time.
What We’re Looking For
You will be extremely interested in how people make decisions and improving decision-making in organisations. Specifically, you’ll have:
- 7+ (and ideally more) years of relevant work experience in consulting and public sector experience – we consider both permanent and freelance/ interim experience as valid.
- Significant project management experience and/or excellent organisation, prioritisation and time management skills
- Strong academic track record and critical thinking skills
- Passion for social impact and public sector work
- Great stakeholder management and communication skills – our clients are all high seniority
We also value:
- A strategic orientation and mindset
- Expertise in a specialist functional domain within consulting (e.g. user-centred service design, strategy, organisational development, transformation/change)
- Analytical skills, including quantitative and qualitative analysis
- A focus on generating and measuring results – and learning from success and disappointments
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office packages
- An interest in organisations and their decision-making approaches or public policy/ organisational effectiveness
What we Offer
We are a small, supportive and motivated team who provide as much flexibility as we can in our working environment to get the best from your talents. We want to learn and grow as an organisation and offer all our employees the opportunities they need to develop, and to teach us. We provide:
- Total package c.£80-100k p.a.
- 4 day per week option (pay pro-rated)
- Flexible work-from-home options
- Generous maternity leave package
- Performance related bonus tied to individual and firm performance
- A great office, but with a range of home working options to fit your needs when you are not working at clients
- 31 days holiday pro rata, including bank holidays. This will increase by 1 day for each year of service up to a maximum of 38 days
- Auto-enrolment pension (with 3% employer pension contribution)
- Both automatic and performance related annual pay increases
- Dedicated time for personal interest projects that can support the development of the business. After your initial training, this can account for a day or even more of your working time each week
- Coaching and personal development from experienced leaders
- Support for any training and development you require to develop in your role
- A clear but flexible progression path